The Burlington Writers Workshop (BWW) mission is to provide writers with free learning opportunities that help them develop as artists and professional writers.
We provide online workshops worldwide, and in-person workshops throughout Vermont, in Burlington, Montpelier, and Middlebury. Our mission also promotes the work of our members.
In addition, we host occasional panel discussions, readings, and special opportunities to connect with experienced, professional writers for advice and encouragement. To ensure access for all, our regular workshops are free of charge. To be a member, all you have to do is sign up. It’s a simple give-to-get system. You share feedback with your fellow writers and submit work of your own for promotion and feedback.
Things we do:
- Workshops: At each writers workshop, participants provide writers with honest, thoughtful feedback, which is delivered verbally and in writing. These workshops are often open to a variety of genres including short fiction, creative nonfiction, book-length narratives, poetry, plays, songwriting, horror fiction, flash fiction, and storytelling. We also have the Lit Group, a weekly book reading workshop.
- Mini-Conferences: The BWW occasionally holds panel discussions and special master classes on the writing and publishing process.
- Publishing Opportunities: The BWW publishes an anthology called Cold lake Anthology that feature work written, selected, and edited by Vermont writers. Any Vermonter who has provided feedback to other writers at a workshop is eligible to participate in the production of this book. The production process itself offers Vermonters a chance to publish work, select and edit pieces of writing, art and help to execute marketing strategies.
- Mud Season Review: The BWW sponsors a vibrant international online literary journal at MudSeasonReview.com.
- Public Readings: The BWW hosts several public readings every year.