Enter the lottery for our upcoming workshops with Joni B. Cole, founder of the Writer’s Center of White River Junction and author of the new book Good Naked: Reflections on How to Write More, Write Better, and Be Happier (listed as “One of the Best Books for Writers” by Poets & Writers magazine).
This lottery will close on Saturday, January 6, midnight. We’ll be in touch by January 19 to let you know the results of the lottery. Our goal will be to ensure that as many people as possible can attend at least 1 of these 3 workshops. If there are additional spots available, we’ll happily give you a seat at more!
Fast Feedback: As part of this workshop for writers of fiction and creative nonfiction, participants are invited to bring 2-3 double-spaced pages of a work-in-progress to read aloud for appreciation and quality feedback. The discussions also will include instruction on craft, and insights on how to cultivate a positive and productive creative process. Both nervous beginners and seasoned authors are welcome.
A Crash Course on Narrative Craft: Newbies and published authors alike will find inspiration in this workshop that invites participants to write from a prompt…and discover where their creativity takes them. The discussions that follow will include plenty of takeaways on narrative techniques, plus tips on how to foster a productive creative process every draft of the way. Bring something to write on, and leave all self doubts at the door.
How the lottery works
- You need to have attended at least 1 “regular” workshop in which you offered feedback to your fellow members in order to be eligible for the lottery. This is the same requirement we have before you can submit your own work for feedback. Given that all our workshops are free and open to all, this is just a simple step to ensure we’re keeping alive our spirit of both giving and receiving.
- Enter the lottery by filling out the form above. Please check all workshops in this offering that you would like to/are available to attend.
- The lottery will close on Saturday, January 6, midnight. Once the lottery closes, we’ll do a random drawing and offer spots based on lottery order and workshop preference. For future guest author workshops, we’ll also try to move folks who haven’t gotten into a guest author workshop before to the top of the list.
- We’ll notify you by Friday, January 19 to let you know if you have a spot in 1 or more of the workshops or if you’re on the waitlist—and we’ll ask you to confirm your attendance within 1 week.
- We’ll ask for a 48-hour cancellation notice for these workshops. For the sake of fairness to those on the waitlist—and to ensure we have enough participants for a vibrant workshop—if you cancel within 48 hours, we’ll ask you to wait for at least 1 guest author workshop before entering another lottery.
More about Joni B. Cole
Joni B. Cole is the author of Good Naked: Reflections on How to Write More, Write Better, and Be Happier, included in Poets & Writers list of “Best Books for Writers.” She is also the author of Toxic Feedback: Helping Writers Survive and Thrive (“I can’t imagine a better guide to [writing’s] rewards and perils than this fine book,” American Book Review), and Another Bad-Dog Book: Essays on Life, Love, and Neurotic Human Behavior (“Funny, smart, original, and, just to keep us on our toes, occasionally heartbreaking”—Gina Barreca, syndicated columnist). Joni teaches in the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies program at Dartmouth College, serves on the creative writing faculty of the New Hampshire Institute of Art, and is founder of the Writer’s Center of White River Junction, Vermont. She has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize and USA Fellowship Award. For more information, visit www.jonibcole.com