The Burlington Writers Workshop is seeking an editor-in-chief for our literary journal, Mud Season Review. This journal publishes online issues once each month (except in August) and a print issue once each year. This is a rare opportunity for a writer who is eager to learn more about the editing/publishing world and boost his/her profile.
Deadline: Open until filled.
- Together with managing editors, and in conjunction with the BWW organizer, lead the journal and make final decisions on all aspects of the journal, including staffing.
- Serve as the public face of the journal at events and in media.
- Write the monthly letter from the editor (or compile paragraphs from each genre editor).
- Serve as the final voice on selection of written and artistic work or on soliciting work from authors or artists.
- Coordinate selection with each genre team, with an eye to fulfilling the mission of the journal as stated on its website. This includes taking responsibility for ensuring diversity, by soliciting work if need be.
- Together with one co-editor in each genre and copyeditor, make suggested edits for the final pieces that appear monthly online and in print
- Communicate with the authors on edits and provide managing editor of design with the final version
Qualifications: Strong editing skills; at least one year of experience as an editor and/or MFA or Masters in English or related field; knowledge of and interest in contemporary writing in all three genres: nonfiction, fiction, and poetry.
Estimated time per week: 10-15 hours (potentially more in weeks immediately preceding print issue going to printer). Most of the work can be done from home, provided that you have an internet connection. You may also use the computer at the BWW space in Burlington at any time.
Compensation: This is a volunteer position. Mud Season Review was created to give writers like yourself a chance for aspiring writers to learn what it’s like to edit a well-respected print/online journal. This is a job you’ll do because you love working in the literary arts and helping others learn.
Duration: At least one year’s commitment.
How to apply: Fill out the form below.