Opportunities & Announcements: Week of Nov. 27, 2017

Stories By the Fire: A BWW Winter Tradition

It’s great to be responsible for a new holiday tradition! This year marks the third annual Stories By the Fire, presented by the Burlington Writers Workshop in collaboration with the Hotel Vermont. This entertaining and moving event has drawn overflow crowds both years to date, as BWW and community members gather early in the holiday season for a tradition as old as the hearth.

Join us on Saturday, December 9th as Gin Ferrara hosts 6 to 8 first-person, true stories—each about 8 minutes long—told without notes in the style of The Moth. Our media partner for this event is RETN.

The atmosphere is magical. Please join us by RSVPing now.

Space Available in Dec 11th Poetry Workshop with Kerrin McCadden

Kerrin McCadden’s  upcoming poetry workshop  still has a few spaces available.  The session is the next in our continuing craft workshops series, supported in part by a grant from Burlington City Arts. Kerrin is the author of Landscape with Plywood Silhouettes, inaugural winner of the 2015 Vermont Book Award, as well as the 2013 New Issues Poetry Prize, chosen by David St. John. Check out her full bio and grab an available spot today.

Round Up for BWW at City Market

The new South End City Market is a beautiful store, opened just in time for the holiday season. And the timing is perfect because this month our turn came up for their “Rally for Change” program. Throughout December, 10% of all funds raised from patrons who “round up” at the check-out will come to BWW as a donation. The other 90% goes to programs addressing hunger.

In the check-out line this weekend, every patron around me chose to round up, so clearly this is a successful fundraising technique. It is one of many ways City Market supports its community. A good reason to visit City Market anytime, but especially throughout December.

Mud Season Review Issue #34

Mud Season Review issue #34 launched this week. Check out this month’s stunning words and images. And thanks to all the MSR staff whose hard work makes this journal a source of international recognition and justifiable pride for the BWW.

Congratulations

Mud Season Review editor-in-chief Lauren Bender‘s poem “# wife”  was nominated for a Pushcart Prize by the Pittsburgh Poetry Review .

In this week’s Flynn Center blog, Cynthia Close previews “A Celtic Christmas, via Canada” featuring Canadians Natalie MacMaster and Donnell Leahy, a sold-out Dec. 1 production.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *